In A Defamation Case, Kangana Ranaut And Javed Akhtar Meet In Court

The court, which had warned Kangana Ranaut that if she didn't show up today, a warrant would be issued, marked her attendance and rescheduled the case for November.

In A Defamation Case, Kangana Ranaut And Javed Akhtar Meet In Court
In A Defamation Case, Kangana Ranaut And Javed Akhtar Meet In Court

In a Mumbai court, actress Kangana Ranaut filed a counter-complaint against lyricist Javed Akhtar, alleging "extortion and criminal intimidation." She accused Mr Akhtar of threatening her and stated that she had "lost faith" in the Andheri Metropolitan Magistrate's court. A request to transfer the matter was made by Ms Ranaut's lawyer to the court. Ms Ranaut's counter-complaint is in response to a defamation suit by Mr Akhtar, who has alleged she dragged his name into a TV discussion last year on the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput.

Ms Ranaut was escorted by her reinforced CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) security entourage when the two met in the courtroom. Ms Ranaut's lawyer, Rizwan Siddique, accused Mr Akhtar of making threats during the filing of the counter-complaint, despite the fact that these alleged threats are an old matter: "Kangana and Rangoli were called to Javed Akhtar's home... Javed Akhtar had no locus in their matter but he called then and threatened them... this is not today but this has been reported for three or four years."

"Kangana did not file a complaint thinking of his age... (but) because he is now aggressively moving forward in this matter, Kangana got permission from her family to file her complaint," the lawyer added. "Now she has recorded this in her complaint... when Javed Akhtar says he had nothing to do with this matter (the subject of the alleged defamation), why did he call Kangana?" he asked in court.

Mr Siddique also claimed that his client did not have faith in the judge, metropolitan magistrate RR Khan, who warned Ms Ranaut last week that failing to attend for today's hearing may result in a warrant being issued. 
Ms Ranaut was contacted last week but declined due to "COVID-19 symptoms." According to PTI, today was her first court appearance since the summons in February. 

"Kangana's health is still not 100%... but I still told (her) to come to court so that it doesn't appear that we aren't attending. Why is Kangana being summoned to court so frequently? The threat of issuing a warrant was made twice..." Mr. Siddique made a statement. "When her lawyer (referring to himself) is present for every hearing... and Kangana also appeared before the court once before... what is the need to still call her?" he added.

In this case, the actor wants the judge to be replaced, he stated. 
Mr Akhtar's counsel called Ms Ranaut's plea for exemption at the previous hearing on September 14 a "orchestrated ploy to extend the court proceedings." The Bombay High Court had already denied her motion to dismiss the defamation claim. 

The Metropolitan Magistrate, Rizwan Siddique claimed, had "mechanically ordered the inquiry" against his client "without assigning (any) reasons." Jay Bharadwaj, Javed Akhtar's lawyer, asked for the plea to be dismissed, claiming that "the magistrate used his mind to direct an inquiry after studying Mr Akhtar's complaint."

After hearing both sides Justice Revati Mohite-Dere said she found no procedural illegalities or irregularities in the magistrate court's order initiating the proceedings.