Facebook Is Offline, And Mark Zuckerberg Apologised For Six-Hour Outage

Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook, has apologised for the "disruption" created when the company's social media services went down for nearly six hours, affecting more than 3.5 billion people across the world.

Facebook Is Offline, And Mark Zuckerberg Apologised For Six-Hour Outage
Facebook Is Offline, And Mark Zuckerberg Apologised For Six-Hour Outage

After an internal technical issue pulled Facebook, Messenger, Whatsapp, and Instagram offline at around 16:00 GMT on Monday, the billionaire apologised. At around 22:00, the scramble to get it back online was finally successful. 

However, it is expected to heighten scrutiny of Facebook's reach. For hours, maybe billions of individuals were unable to communicate with friends and family using the social media tools they rely on. Others said they were unable to use services that required a Facebook login. Meanwhile, businesses using social media to communicate with clients around the world have been slammed with an unanticipated financial impact. 

According to the tracking software of the business website Fortune, Mr Zuckerberg's fortune was supposed to have plunged by $6 billion (£4.4 billion) at one time as Facebook shares plummeted. Downdetector, which tracks outages, said some 10.6 million problems were reported around the world - the largest number it had ever recorded.

Facebook revealed in a blog post published on Tuesday that its engineers had mistakenly taken down all of the links in its network during a normal maintenance job, "essentially disconnecting Facebook data centres globe." Facebook's programme audit tool had a problem, according to Santosh Janardhan, the company's infrastructure vice-president, and failed to block the command that triggered the outage. 

Staff also lost access to internal tools, including those used by Facebook employees to resolve such issues, as a result of the outage, according to the firm. Facebook's internal correspondence and even employee work passes were among the tactics used.

Some reports suggest that Facebook headquarters was in a "meltdown". Even "the people trying to figure out what this problem was" couldn't access the building, New York Times technology reporter Sheera Frenkel told the BBC. 

Facebook has stated that it is investigating what occurred in order to "improve our infrastructure's resilience." The problem has been compared to the social media behemoth disappearing from the internet's map, making it impossible to locate. There was "no evidence that user data was compromised," according to the business. 

The outage occurs at a particularly challenging time for the firm, which is coming under fire for its scope and social impact. Former Facebook employee Frances Haugen told CBS News on Sunday that the corporation had put "growth over safety" as a priority. She told a US Senate committee that she believed the company's sites and apps "harm children, stoke division and weaken our democracy".