'Aryan Khan Wasn't Even On The Cruise, Nothing Found On Him,' Court Told
Amit Desai, who represents Shah Rukh Khan's kid, told the court that he had never used narcotics and that nothing was found on him.
The charge of drug trafficking against Aryan Khan, who was "not even on the cruise" when anti-drugs cops raided his home on October 2, is "absurd," his lawyer told a Mumbai court today hearing the 23-year-old star son's bail request in the drugs-on-cruise case. The bail hearing will resume the following day. Amit Desai, representing Shah Rukh Khan's son, said the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB)'s raid started when he had not even checked into the cruise and that he had neither used drugs nor was anything found on him.
"The allegation of illicit trafficking is inherently absurd. This boy who has nothing, he was not even on the vessel. It is an absurd and false allegation," he said. Aryan Khan also "had no currency" on the cruise ship, so he couldn't have bought drugs, according to the lawyer. In response to the NCB's accusation that Aryan Khan "said he was about to use charas found on Arbaaz Merchant," his defence team claimed that the admissions were forced.
"The court understands how people are pressured to make these declarations," said Amit Desai, a former lawyer for actor Salman Khan. On October 2, Aryan Khan was nabbed hours after officials from the anti-drug agency raided a Mumbai cruise ship party in disguise. On October 3, seven people, including his friend Arbaaz Merchant, were arrested. Mr Desai said even though the investigations were meant to focus on drugs consumed or bought on the ship, Aryan Khan was dragged into the case.
"I thank the NCB for its cut-paste job. The first remand application did not have the names of the other accused," said Mr Desai. He said the agency afterwards claimed on Aryan's WhatsApp that it had discovered proof of an international drugs conspiracy and asked for his custody to be extended based on the arrest of one individual, Achit Kumar, a suspected drugs supplier.
The NCB presented a statement to the court earlier today regarding its investigations into the claims against Aryan Khan, stating that he and the other accused are linked and that their roles cannot be separated. According to the anti-drug agency, Aryan Khan - Accused No. 1 for the NCB - sourced drugs and communicated with "certain persons abroad who appear to be a part of an International Drug Network for illicit drug procurement."All those arrested "are inextricably connected with each other" and "it is not possible to dissect the role, involvement of one accused from that of the other", it said.
"The ingredients of conspiracy are clear and evident," said the bureau, adding that "one of the applicants cannot be considered in isolation". On Aryan Khan's defence that no drugs were found on him, the agency said: "Even though from some accused persons there is no recovery or recovery of small quantity of contraband, the participation by acts and omissions of such persons who have acted in concert, conspiracy in the commission of offences forms the basis of this investigation." The situation was such that "the quantum of recovery from an individual accused becomes inconsequential".
The NCB also said, "Accused no 1 has a role in so far as illicit procurement and distribution of contraband is concerned... It is prima facie revealed that Aryan Khan used to procure contraband from Accused no 2 (Arbaaz). And sourced connected to Accused no 2 from whose conscious possession (shoes) 6 grams of charas was recovered. Aryan and Arbaaz have been associated in close collaboration."